Last Revised: June 16, 2020
Serta Simmons Bedding Company (hereinafter “Simmons”, “Beautyrest”, “we”, “our” or “us”) has been leading the industry with groundbreaking mattress technologies that set new standards for comfort and support for almost a century. Beautyrest® respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it, as we describe below.
Users outside the United States and Canada
Serta makes the Sites available for consumers located exclusively in the United States of America and Canada. Please do not use the Sites if you are located outside the United States and Canada.
1. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
(a) When you visit our Sites, we gather certain personal information about you.
One of the basic principles we’ve followed in designing the Sites is that we collect the personal information to the extent it is necessary to provide the service you’ve requested and to operate the Sites.
As a result, the answer to this question largely depends on how you choose to make use of our Sites: In order to use certain features, you must provide personal information as set out below. In some cases, you may provide additional optional information.
- Email List, Newsletters & Promotions. To join our email list to access newsletters or information on special promotions, you must provide us with your email address.
- Customer Service Inquiries. Name and email are necessary to provide this service, in addition to any other personal information you provide in your email to Serta so that Serta representatives can assist you. If you send us a message on Facebook Messenger, your initial interactions will take place with a chatbot. The chatbot will collect your name and email address, together with details about your specific issue or inquiry and will provide your responses and information to our Customer Service team for handling. Chatbot transcripts are retained in accordance with our retention policy.
- Sleep Quizzes. Information provided as answers to sleep quizzes on the Sites is used to provide the results of the quiz and to suggest articles and products that we think you might like. If you wish to receive your quiz results by email, you must enter your name and email address.
- Find a Store. You may find the store nearest to you by entering your postal code. This information is not retained.
- Accessing your Personal Favorites. Your name and login information are used to enable you to save products of interest to you.
- Email Notifications. You may request that information be sent via email to you. The email address you provide will be used to send the information to, and a confirmation email will be sent to your email address.
It is your choice as to whether to provide your personal information through the Site as described above; however, if you choose not to provide certain information, certain features of the Sites may not be available to you.
We do not sell your information to other companies. We may change the features and information available via the Sites from time to time without notice.
(b) We collect certain technical information from your use of the Sites.
You may configure your web browser to disable cookies, but doing so will impair your ability to fully use the Sites. For example, if you disable cookies, you will not be able to take the sleep quiz on the Sites.
Serta also monitors the total number of visitors to its Sites, as well as which Site pages are most popular, although this information is in the aggregate and cannot be used to identify individuals.
2. HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may use your information as follows:
- to establish, maintain and manage our relationship with you so that we can provide you with the products and services that have been requested;
- to allow you to register and access an account with us;
with your consent, to send you promotional communications that we think might be of interest to you;
- to respond to your direct inquires to our customer service team
- to create aggregate information
- to protect us and you against fraud, theft and damage to our goods and property;
- to enable us to comply with applicable law or regulatory process;
- to correct technical problems and malfunctions related to the Sites;
- to protect the security and integrity of the Sites and the information collected through the Sites)
- to respond to claims that your information violates the rights or interests of third parties;
- in accordance with applicable law;
- to respond to judicial or other legal requirements; and
- to the extent permitted by applicable law, to provide information to law enforcement agencies (for example, related to investigations on matters related to public safety, fraud or theft).
Interest based advertising
We may ourselves, or with third party service providers, use non-personally identifiable information in connection with our own or vendor information to deliver targeted advertising to you when you visit other web sites or our Sites. Cookies, clickstream data, and other similar technologies described herein may be used in this process. For example, if you are searching for information on a particular product, we or our vendor may cause an advertisement to appear on other web sites you view with information on that product. This form of advertising, sometimes called “behavioral advertising,” is based on anonymous information and not on any personally identifiable information. As a result, we and our third party service provider know your interests, but cannot personally identify you in connection with the delivery of that specific ad. We believe that such advertising is helpful because you will see advertisements that are relevant to your interests.
3. HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION
(a) We may disclose personal information in the following circumstances:
as required or permitted by law or legal process;
to investigate suspected fraud, harassment or other violations of any law, rule or regulation, or the policies for the Sites;
to meet or comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process, audit or enforceable request from a government agency or regulatory body;
in connection with a bankruptcy proceeding or the sale, merger or change of control of Beautyrest® or the division responsible for the Sites with which your personally identifiable information is associated; or
(b) Sharing with third parties
Serta may provide the information you disclose to third party services providers for purposes of providing the services or information requested by you. We limit our service providers’ use of personal information to that which is required to provide the services on our behalf.
Further, Serta may use third parties located outside your jurisdiction of residence to operate or host one or more Sites or the computers that operate the Sites. By using the Sites, you understand your information may be transferred outside the jurisdiction in which you live. You understand that if your information is processed in a foreign country, it may be subject to foreign laws and accessible to law enforcement and national security authorities within that jurisdiction.
If you’d like more information about our third party service providers, you can contact Beautyrest® using the contact information provided below.
We may share certain aggregated demographic information with our business partners regarding the users of the Sites.
4. LINKS TO OTHER WEB SITES
The Sites contain links to other websites (“Linked Sites”). Serta provides links to Linked Sites as a convenience only. You should carefully review any privacy policies on the Linked Sites; Serta is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of the Linked Sites. You should make whatever investigation you feel necessary or appropriate before proceeding with any transaction through a Linked Site or with any third party that operates a Linked Site.
Please also consider that Serta has no control over and is not responsible for any other aspect of the Linked Sites.
Serta’s reference to or use of a Linked Site does not imply Serta’s recommendation, endorsement, approval, affiliation, or sponsorship of the Linked Site. You agree that Serta shall not be responsible or have any liability, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss arising out of or relating to your interactions with any Linked Site, including without limitation any content, property, goods or services available on any Linked Site.
5. SECURITY AND DATA RETENTION
(b) Storage of Information
Serta will store information collected via the Site(s), including, without limitation, your personal information, only as long as is necessary for the purposes for which the information was collected. Thereafter, we will keep your information for a reasonable time in accordance with our data retention policy or as necessary for archival/audit purposes, to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes, prevent fraud and abuse and to enforce our agreements.
Even if we delete some or all of your personally identifiable information, we may continue to retain and use aggregate or anonymous data previously collected and/or anonymize or aggregate your personally identifiable information. We may continue to keep archived data related to your use of the Site.
Please note that we will not be liable for disclosures of your data due to errors or unauthorized acts of third parties.
When your information is in the custody of Beautyrest, your information is stored on servers in the United States and/or Canada. Please see Section 3(b) above for information on third parties and jurisdiction.
6. INFORMATION RELATING TO CHILDREN.
Our Sites are designed for those who are at least the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence. We do not knowingly collect information from minors. If we are made aware that we have received such information, or any information in violation of our Policy, we will use reasonable efforts to locate and remove that information from our records. If you are a minor, please do not use the Sites and do not submit information to any Site.
7. UPDATING YOUR INFORMATION
You may request access to your personal information in our records. If you do so, we may request specific information from you in order to allow us to confirm your identity and right to access. Subject to any legal restrictions or rights of refusal, we will inform you of the existence, use and disclosure of personal information relating to you and give you access to that information.
8. CONTACT INFORMATION
If, having shared your concerns with us, you are still not satisfied, you may file a complaint with a privacy regulator, such as the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada by mail at 30 Victoria Street, Gatineau, Quebec K1A 1H3 or by calling 1 800 282 1376.